Monday, March 16, 2009

In response to brother Shalmo...

Peace be upon you all, and may God bless His prophets and those chosen to carry out God's righteous duties.

I would like to make a quick response to brother Shalmo, who has commented on my latest post here on Advent Islam. Firstly, Salam 'Alaykum brother, and thank you for your comment.

Firstly, you claim that I give greater authority to the Sunni 'Sahih' books than the words of the 12 A'immah (a). This is contrary to what I have been saying both on the forums and on this blog - in fact, I have an article here which disproves the infallibility of Sahih Bukhari. However, the reason why I sometimes site ahadith from these sources is due to my large Sunni Muslim audience (check the poll to the right) and my familiarity with Sunni Muslim sources (me being a former Sunni Muslim myself). There are still many ahadith in these Sunni Muslim sources which prove, beyond the shadow of a doubt, in the 12 A'immah.

For example, my article on Imam al-Mehdi (a) uses a multitude of ahadith from various Sunni Muslim sources, in an effort for them to realize that their own books support ideas such as 12 Successors, the Mehdi's rule, the Occultation, etc.

Secondly, you have said that the 12 A'immah are the best source. One must remember that the Qur'an is first and foremost, the best source for Islam ad Muslimeen, as it is the authentic word of God. This is why, more than anything else, I use the Qur'an. I am still in the process of studying al-Kafi, Sahifa'l Sajjadiya, and other collections in Arabic, which is why I haven't cited them as much as the Qur'an, Nahjul Balagha, Bukhari, etc. Insha'allah I will use these alternate sources in the future.

At the end of your post, you claimed that I am 'just another sectarian'. You have also claimed that I am a kafir (heretic). Do you have evidence for these claims? I have always been FOR reconciliation between the Sunni and Shi'ah, and my personal beliefs are ones that do not contradict the Qur'an, the authentic ahadith of the Prophet (s) or the authentic sayings of Ahlul Bayt. The only thing they do contradict are the extreme views of some in the Sunni Muslim and Shi'i sects; views such as a "perfect" sahaba, "completely sahih" collections, incarnation of the Ahlul Bayt (from light to flesh), etc.

And finally in response to Kevin, I do not have AIM, but I do have an MSN. You can find me at qaim[AT]live.ca

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

tsk

I have your blog posts saved, so don't try editing them

http://adventislam.blogspot.com/2008/11/what-i-believe.html

in there you wrote:

"Sahih Bukhari and Sahih Muslim do gain a lot of my respect and attention, but I do not believe they are completely perfect. At the same time, I can find all of the hadiths I need in these two sources alone. I DO NOT REGARD Bihar al Anwar or al Kafi to be AUTHENTIC IN ANY SENSE AND WILL NEVER USE OR CONSIDER ANY OF THEIR HADITHS"

Who are you trying to fool man?

"I believe that the best way to get to know Imam Ali (as) is by reading Nahjul Balagha."

which goes back to my main comment about you not knowing enough about shia sources to be making IMHO irresponsible posts about them. What makes you really think Nahjul-Balagha is the best we have? We have similar packages from all the Imams

And here's the worst of the worst:

"If God were to punish men according to what they deserve, He would not leave on the back of the (earth) a single living creature: but He gives them respite for a stated Term: when their Term expires, verily God has in His sight all His Servants." (35:45)

DO YOU HONESTLY THINK THAT IN 1500 YEARS SHIAS HAVE NEVER CONSIDERED THIS VERSE?

Qaim what you are doing is exactly how sects are born in Islam. Everybody thinks their way it the right way. You are no different than Ahmadiyyas, thinking you are going to bring unity in the ummah with your ideas, when in fact like Mirza ghulam under the guise of bringing unity you are just making another sect. when you talk to an Ahmaddiya today, they will stubbornly tell you the only way for unity is for everyone to follow our newly made. Salafis have the same thinking. they believe they are the original true muslims, and everybody else is deviant

What makes you think in a 100 years the Qaim-itties won't just end up doing the same thing

What we have to do is go back to authority and since only the Ahlul-Bayt have established authority in both Sunnah and Shia sects, we need to turn to them. And by that I mean all of them, not just nahjul-balagha for Imam Ali

May God save you Qaim

Qa'im said...

Salam Alaykum brother,

Concerning my use of al-Kafi, my opinions have changed about this compilation. It has been a few months since I have said that, and as I normally say, I am still a student. I will openly admit that I was wrong about the authenticity of many of its ahadith. I've recently been studying the ahadith thereof, and insha'allah I will be using them here in the future.

As a former Sunni and one who has studied the Sihah as-Sitta, I have come to learn that MANY hadiths in these sources support concepts such as Imamah and the occultation. The only places where these books contradicts the principles of Shi'ism is where the books contradict themselves. In other words, sound narration chains with narrators we don't have disagreements with, can prove to be useful in our effort of da'wa with the Ahlul Sunnah, as they are consistent with the deen.

Concerning the supposed establishment of a sect, again, this was never my intention. My intention is not to make my own distinct group within Islam - but rather, to bring mutual understanding and clarification of the religion. The fact of the matter is, I am a Twelver, and even though I have disagreed with certain concepts that even the Shi'ah have disagreed with amongst itself historically, nothing could still change the fact that I am a follower of the A'immah like yourself.

With Peace,

- Qa'im

Anonymous said...

Qaim ,the 12th imam is an Abassid creation and there is no serious evidences about his existence

Anonymous said...

Go understadn why ,the 12 imami curse and insult those among the ahl bayt familly who refuted all this masquarade.

Qa'im said...

Salam Anonymous,

What are your sources?

Thanks,

- Qa'im